Because global warming and environmental issues affect us all, we believe we should all be doing something about it. That's why we've set ourselves stringent environmental policies.
As part of a continuing drive for quality and excellence, we at the Missenden Abbey Conference Centre are committed to reducing the impact of our activities on the environment through continual improvement in our environmental performance.
We acknowledge that as a member of the community we have a responsibility in our operational and educational activities to meet or exceed the expectations of our stakeholders, protect the environment and respond to the challenges of sustainable development.
In order to address these principles our aims are as follows:
- Comply with all statutory requirements and relevant codes of practice which relate to our environmental performance and, where feasible, exceed these requirements.
- Facilitate the incorporation of environmental management principles into our policies and practices through leadership at Directorate level, provision of advice and guidelines by a dedicated steering group and the adoption of a systematic approach at all levels within the Centre.
- Provide the necessary information, training and research opportunities for staff to enable them to fulfil the commitments embodied in our policy.
- Keep informed of relevant environmental and sustainability issues and co-operate with local government and other appropriate stakeholders in order to formulate and facilitate effective responses to the challenges presented by these issues.
- Progressively improve our waste management by reducing, reusing or recycling waste where appropriate.
- Minimize our consumption of energy and the use of water and other natural resources.
- Actively contribute to the implementation of a rationalized local transport strategy by encouraging the use of public transport and providing appropriate facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Manage and maintain our buildings and sites in an environmentally sensitive manner.
- Produce relevant information relating to our environmental performance to allow us to review our policy and other elements of the management system both on an ongoing basis and as an integral part of our strategic planning cycle and, where necessary, make effective improvements.
- Make our environmental policy statement available to all interested parties.
Missenden Abbey saved 10.5 tonnes of carbon dioxide from entering the atmosphere in 2015 as all waste was either burnt for energy or recycled.